General course objectives:
The Purpose of the Course is to:
- Understand fundamental principles of communication in computer networks
- Understand the structure of the Internet and its protocols and make use of it
- Establish communication between two hosts on a computer network
- Understand security aspect in Intra- and Internet.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- Know the 5 layers of the internet-protocol stack and describe which services they offer
- Know the classical internet applications (web, mail, ftp and DNS)
- Understand socket-interfaces and use them
- Understand IP-addressing and netmasks (CIDR)
- Know when unicast, multicast and broadcast is used
- Know the major advantages and disadvantages in peer-to-peer versus client-server - and hybrids of these
- Understand how communication is established and maintained over the internet
- Know the most important protocols and their advantages and disadvantages
- Know the most important types of encryption (based on symmetric keys ad public/private keys)
- Explain the differences between error-detection and error-correction - and which implementations/layers that use these
- Use wireshark to analyze various scenarios
- The structure of the Internet and its protocol stack.
- Standards for Local Area Networks (LANs), advantages and disadvantages of different types of networks.
- Detection and correction of transmission errors.
- Network topologies and the solution of routing problems in already existing networks.
- Introduction to Socket Programming.
|, 322, 110, (+45) 4525 7512,
|02 Department of Informatics and Mathematical Modeling|
Registration Sign up:
|Data communication, Internet, Networks, socket programing|