The 3 year PhD Programme at DTU is for any candidate who wishes to research and immerse themselves in technical and scientific topics.
The Department of Civil Engineering, DTU Byg, is an Institute of the university. Our vision is to become one of Europes leading Civil Engineering institutions in building engineering and a parther of preference for national and international companies and institutions in the field of building and construction.
Head of the Department is professor Michael Havbro Faber.
DTU Byg has developed a series of courses and research programmes in
- Planning and Management of Building Processes
- Structural Engineering
- Construction Materials
- Building Energy and Services
- Indoor Environment
- Arctic Technology
All these areas can be examined in research and PhD projects. The PhD programme is a learning process where the PhD student learns how to research under the guidance of an advisor. It is therefore important that the student and the advisor know one and another before the programme begins. As a PhD student you can also design your own programme in cooperation with your advisor or as an industrial collaboration.
What is a PhD programme?
The PhD programme consists of:
- a study programme corresponding to 30 ECTS points
- a teaching and communication course corresponding to approximately three months
- periods of research abroad
- completion of an individual scientific project
- presentation of a thesis and the public defence of the thesis
DTU Byg provides a dynamic, friendly environment for PhD students where the student is in focus, and the institute is always happy to receive proposals and/or expressions of interest from qualified and enthusiastic students who can contribute with their international research.
You can learn more about the Department's research areas or the active PhD projects here.
The PhD programme at DTU Byg
DTU Byg attracts researchers, tutors and students from all over the world. Currently the Department has around 180 employees, of which 129 are scientists. and just under 65 PhD students.
As a PhD student at BYG you are enrolled as a member of Byg's PhD School, known as PhD@Byg. The PhD School is led by professor Michael Havbro Faber, Head of Department, and Sigurdur Ormarsson, Deputy Manager of .
Annual cycle of the 3 years PhD programme can be find here.
Both the Department and PhD@Byg regard the academic and the social environment highly and offer the students a number of attractive conditions:
- a dynamic and friendly student centred environment with cooperation across disciplinary boundaries
- salary throughout the coruse
- support from one or several advisors. You become a member of a research group
- possibility of studying at foreign research institutes
- opportunity to build up a network of national and international contacts
- participation in international conferences etc.
What is the PhD programme?
A PhD-degree is a 3 year learning process, and you will receive an internationally recognised research education.
Every candidate with a relevant education, for example a Danish Master’s degree in engineering, who has passed the examination with good grades, can apply.
Read more about the PhD programme at DTU, the necessary requirements and how to apply here
Vacant PhD Positions
DTU Civil Engineering is steadily increasing its number of PhD students, and we suggest that you frequently check the possible vacant positions here.
Who should I contact?
If you have any questions regardinng to the PhD course please contact Associate Professor Sigudur Ormarsson, Deputy Manager of .